Sunday, April 10, 2011

Major FAIL!

So I haven't had the best of luck in all of my baking/cooking projects lately! Remember the jello! Well, I thought it would be a great idea to do a little early Easter Egg dying while my sister was here...let's just say it didn't really go as planned.

As I was trying to write Nolan's name with the white crayon on one of our first eggs I quickly realized that my eggs were not quite HARD BOILED! The light pressure from the crayon was enough to crack the egg open to reveal a rather smelly and mushy yolk!

AAAHHH! I have had the hardest time boiling eggs at high altitude. Last year I over cooked them and the yolks were a bit too hard. So this time I kept them in the boiling water a minute or two less, and what do I end up with- nast! I was so looking forward to some egg salad too! So if any of you Coloradans have a special trick I'm missing...please let me know! I may want to give them another try in the next week or two before Easter!

We decided not to let Nolan know that anything was wrong and we continued dying the not-so-hard boiled eggs! He loved plunking the eggs into the cups! We ended up with quite a few cracks, but that didn't bother him!

He does not have the patience for making half & halfs or anything fancy. He just plops as many eggs in the cups as he can at a time! And slaps a few stickers on them when they are dry. But they are all still masterpieces in our eyes!

I was so worried he would squeeze the egg too hard and have it crack in his hands! Does anybody know if regular eggs or cage free eggs have harder shells? I buy cage free now and I feel like these just cracked so easily!

Proudly displaying his eggs in his Easter Basket!

Pretending to take a bite!

"Crack, Crack, Crack...Omelette!" Auntie taught this phrase to Nolan last Easter and he remembered it and loves to play Omelette again this year! He has such a great memory for details!

Needless to say the eggs made their way into the garbage can just a day later, but he still had the same holiday experience, right?! Really, anything he does with his Auntie is pretty fun, even if there's stinky eggs involved!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I learned to put the eggs in the water until they boil. Once they boil turn off the stove and let them set for ten minutes. Once the ten minutes is up run them under cold water and put some ice cubes in it. Usually works for me. Worth a try. Sorry yours didn't turn out so well. :( From kim not ernie...