Sunday, June 22, 2014

Our Start to Summer...

Our Summer didn't exactly start in a relaxing way. My Grandma passed away the day after Nolan's Kindergarten graduation. She suffered from dementia, so even though we are sad she is no longer with us, we are comforted by the fact that we know she has her mind back in heaven. She is reunited with all of her loved ones and is her happy self again. When we found out she wasn't doing well, we immediately started preparing for our 15 hour drive to Chicago to celebrate her amazing life with all of our family. 

The boys were excited for the road trip and for some extra, unexpected time at Grandma & Grandpa's! In between packing and preparing we squeezed in a some time at the park and pool, trying to wear the boys out before they would have to sit for a long time in the car. 



Saturday morning the boys slept in and took it easy around the house. Then we split up to run some errands and get the car ready to go. Mark was singing at church that evening and was gone for most of the day rehearsing, so I just let the boys play all day while I packed. The amount of STUFF it takes to travel across country with 3 little boys is just insane. 

Can you tell I wasn't really paying attention to them...
This is what Heath was up to. Overflowing the toilet for fun! 

I had planned to spend the week potty training this one. But that wasn't really going to happen now that we would be gone for 4 days. But I've slowly started easing him into it. 
He has done o.k. With a busy summer I just don't know when I'll get around to getting serious about it. Maybe next week?! Ha! 

But he's been running around the house naked a lot and using the potty sometimes. He set up these pins all by himself for a little nakie bowling!

Since the boys were cooped up in the house they basically played with every single toy we own! But they were having fun pulling out all the things we don't usually have time to do. That's what summer is all about right?! 

Then we went to church...
and came home to enjoy our night practicing baseball when it cooled down. The boys start next weekend. Heath is on the Little Pirates and Nolan is on the Tigers. 

I picked up some Drumsticks as a little dessert before we put the boys down for the night. My brother, sister, and I used to eat Drumsticks at my Grandma's house when we were little. My boys had never had them before, so it was a sweet treat. 
They all LOVED them. 
And ate every last bite. 

When we were all ready to go, Mark skipped singing on Sunday morning, and we woke the boys up at 5 a.m. to hit the road. Nolan hopped right out of bed, so ready to go. He asked, "Why are we leaving in the middle of the night?" He was sleepily walking so I asked him if he wanted me to carry him down to the car and he said, "I think I can manage." Then as he was stumbling down the stairs he said, "This is so strange." He was so out of it but so excited, full of great one liners! We got the other boys up, piled into the Pilot, and we were off. 

Heath, Brooks, and I had picked up some road trip snacks the day before. All snacks that my Grandma gave us as kids or things that she enjoyed eating/drinking. It was fun to think of her in small ways and to tell the boys stories about each snack as we enjoyed them along the way. 

The boys really did awesome! It was long. But with movies, coloring books, books, toys, snacks, etc. they kept busy. Brooks doesn't watch movies, so he jabbered and needed more from me than the other boys, but overall he did well. 

We stopped for quick gas/potty breaks and we stopped for lunch at McDonalds, but that was really it. We pretty much powered straight through. It's a boring ride. Not much exciting to look at and some interesting smells along the way. Heath smelled manure and said, "GET BROOKSIE OUT OF HERE!" He thought Brooks had pooped! Interestingly enough, this happened later...

 One nasty blow out diaper in the middle of nowhere Iowa! Thank goodness for spare pants, wipes, and ziploc baggies! We weren't quite expecting this pit stop. 

But we made it there safely. My brother flew in that night as well. So it was nice to all be together. We were exhausted, so we pretty much let the boys eat and play, we stayed up to chat a bit, and then went to bed. 

The next day we slept in and then went to lunch at a favorite restaurant of ours- The Choo Choo. This restaurant has been around since before my Mom was born. My Grandma took her there as a child, us there as children, and now we are taking our boys there as well. It's such a fun tradition. 


The boys sat at the counter with Uncle T. and Auntie Mal. 
They love watching the train go around delivering food. 

My Mom, Mark, Brooks, and I ate in a booth next to them. I was so happy to have a delicious Chicago Style burger! Yum! The boys loved their food too! 

After eating we headed outside to take some photos. 

We have so many great memories of my Grandma in Des Plaines: her house on Walnut St. (which we drove by later that day), the Des Plaines Mall, the candy store, V&S Variety, Grandma Sally's, Wags, The Sound of Music, Randhurst, Uno, Rummikub, Bob's garden, Golden Girls…I could go on and on. We spent the night at her house all the time and had so many traditions with her. I love that each of us now treasure traditions and try to instill these values in our new and growing families. 

That afternoon Mark took the kids to the park and pond to feed the ducks and I went with Mallory to see her bridal gown! It's gorgeous! Can't wait for the big day! Then the boys went down for a nap and we just chilled for a bit. That evening Uncy Flobby came over and we spent some time playing outside, we ordered Lou's, we looked through old photo albums, and played some games. 

My Mom put the big boys to work as well! It was fun to watch them working together to get the job done! 






The next morning was the visitation and funeral. It was held at St. Paul Lutheran church where my Great Grandfather was a pastor and where my Mom and family attended while growing up. 
Our Soo ja put together this beautiful arrangement from Tyler, Mallory, and I. We sure love our VEEHMMS (Verna Edna Emma Hamburger (She always said, "Hamburger is my middle name." For a tiny thing, that woman could eat! I like to think I take after her in that way!) Maleske Mueller Swanberg) and know that she would have loved the Cubs colors we picked out! 

Mallory and Bob were on Nolan and Heath duty for the day! Ha! Brave souls. The boys really did well though, having to be quiet and reverent for 2 hours during the visitation and funeral. They walked up to the open casket with me to say our goodbyes to their Great Grandma. I don't think they were expecting to see her body because they thought she was in heaven. So I had to explain about how God gives us a new body, he takes our soul to heaven when we die. Then they asked me 5 million questions about how we get to heaven and why/when God decides to take us there. I think they did a great job of understanding it all. They know that it is a GOOD thing to live in heaven forever with God! And they know Great Grandma is happy there now. 

The service was exactly the same as my Great Grandmother's was. That's what VEEHMMS wanted. And it was perfect. 

After the ceremony we had a luncheon at an old restaurant/bar that my Grandma used to frequent in Mt. Prospect when she was younger. It was a cool old building with old photos of Mt. Prospect hanging on the walls. 
We had a yummy lunch and it was nice to socialize with all of the family and friends who came to support us. 

Then it was time to head to the cemetery for the burial. My brother and Mark were Paul Bearers. But it was literally down pouring during the ceremony. And we only had a few umbrellas to share between us all. We prayed, placed flowers on her casket, hugged, and said our goodbyes. We were all soaked! But it didn't matter because we were all together. 

After the funeral we just took it easy at home and enjoyed being together. The boys played Mario and light sabers with Uncle T. 

They also played with the cat's red light beam with Grandpa. 

And read books with Grandma. 

And I ate 2 dinners! Left over Lou's and a Nana's hot dog! What can I say? I can't resist Chicago Style Food. Even though my brother disowns me for putting ketchup on my hot dog! 

The next morning my brother was off to the airport and we were back in the car. It was a whirlwind of a trip but it was so nice. The car ride home went well- about another 15 hours. But the boys did great again. 

I was just so happy that we were all able to go. And that we were able to honor a life so well lived. My Grandma was the best. She loved to travel, she loved the Cubs, she loved shopping, she loved eating out, she loved wine, she loved jewelry, she loved to laugh, she loved her family, she loved God. All things I love as well. All ways that I am proud to say that I take after her. 

She left such a legacy. I am honored and humbled to be a strong, feisty, loving, laughing "Gussie Girl"! 

John 11 Verse 25
I am the resurrection and the life. He that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. And whoever loveth & believeth in me shall never die. 

While we were home my brother, sister, and I went though her spoon collection. She used to collect a spoon from each location she traveled to. When we would spend the night at her house we would play with the spoons and create our own little collections. We would barter and trade spoons to collect our most coveted ones. Such a funny little memory, but one I hold so dearly. I knew that I wanted to take a few of my favorite spoons to display in my home in remembrance of her. I chose my childhood favorite: Wisconsin- I loved the little deer. One from Boston because it reminded me of how we used to sing, "Grandma is the bean queen…" I love the one from New Jersey because my Grandma visited my Uncles and their families there often. And I loved the scalloped edge too. And finally, London- I remember the sweatshirts my Grandma brought us home from their trip there. I mounted them on a burlap canvas and they are now hanging in my kitchen. I just LOVE them! 

So now we are home, and are trying to start a normal summer routine. 

Bike Rides

And balls. And working out. (My view from the treadmill.)

And the pool. 




And Buzz Cuts. And special treats. 

That's what summer is all about. Time together. Treasuring every moment. Building memories. Just like my Grandma taught me. She will be missed. So missed. But more than anything, I am SO THANKFUL. So thankful for all she taught me and all she was to us. We love you Grandma. 

"Thank you for being a friend.
Travel down the road and back again.
Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant.

And if you threw a party, invited everyone you knew.
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
and the card attached would say,
thank you for being a friend."

1 comment:

Jill Sloothaak said...

Love this post, friend! I'm so glad that you were able to make the trip to Chicago for some family time as you honored and remembered your grandma's life. What a beautiful legacy she leaves behind! Love!!