Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Flashback!

I had a fabulous weekend away with my dear friend Kati {Davis} Hart in Alabama! The whole weekend was super fun and had me feeling nostalgic. So before I share all the details of our time together, I thought I'd take a trip down memory lane and share some {o.k. ALOT} of pictures of Kati and I over the years! 

I spent about an hour looking through old photo albums with Heath and Brooks this morning! I laughed and laughed and even teared up a bit as I flipped through the pages. But mostly, I just felt so so so thankful that God has given me so many lasting friendships that change, but deepen throughout the years. I have been so blessed with girlfriends who love God and love me! These relationships are invaluable! Simply priceless. 

Here is the story of Davis and I! 

We met at Willow Creek Community Church during our Junior Year of High School. We became fast friends and were super involved with our youth ministry there. 
Here we are at our Winter Retreat, "Blast". We had to buy coordinating Performance Fleeces before we went of course! 

We were the typical high school girls. We loved to be crazy and have fun! We loved boys and clothes. Funny thing is, we still love all of those things TODAY!  

This picture is from "Sand Blast", our summer camp after Senior Year. We lip synched to Back Street Boys, "I Want it that Way". We still love those hotties too!

Shortly after camp, Kati and I took off for college! We had both decided to attend Calvin College. So naturally, we wanted to be roomies! Best decision ever! 
Calvin changed our lives. We broke up with our boyfriends within weeks and had the time of our lives meeting new friends, staying up late, and getting involved in everything we possibly could! We soaked up all Calvin had to offer! 

Kerri drew this on the door into our dorm room. 

We LOVED our new found freedom! 

We hit up every floor date we could! Little did I know that on THIS particular floor date I would meet my husband and the father of my children! Ha! 

Chaos Day! We're BHT born and we're BHT bred, and when we die we'll be BHT dead. So RA RA for Bolt-Heyns-Timmer, RA RA for Bolt-Heyns-Timmer, RA RA for Bolt-Heyns-Timmer YA! 

80's Skating Party and the first time I ever held Mark's hand! We're sexy and we know it! 

BHT Fall Retreat- making Kati do all the work! 

Chester on the "Piece O'"! 
Piece o' Sh*$! We bought this nasty second hand couch for our room and covered it with a slip cover. It was so old and gross, that naturally, it got it's name. And I {lovingly} got the nick name "Chester" in high school, because I was known to grab a handful every now and again. Chester the __________, if you know what I mean! Ha! 

Another Chaos Day pic...
our sophomore year, we both decided to room with new college friends. She with Betsy and I with Jayne. But we stayed in the same dorm...we couldn't stray too far from each other! 

BHT Fall Retreat Sophomore Year...still grabbing a piece! 

another decades skating party

At a dorm fundraiser, Kati paid money to smash a pie in my face! 

That's what friends are for! 

We attended many basketball games together! 

our Spring Formal

 Our Junior Year we moved off campus and into a house together. 
We were both freshman orientation leaders our Junior Year. 

And life off campus was AMAZING! We loved living in our dumpy old house and we loved our new roomies! Here we are getting ready for a wild night out at Steak 'n Shake! Don't we look HOT?!

All of us girls drove down to Cedar Point for a fun fall day riding roller coasters! Best amusement park ever! 

O-Town was our house's favorite band! Knock Knock! We spent many a study break dancing and singing to their amazing jams! 

Who knows? But crazy moments like this one were a regular thang! 

Look...we even made house t-shirts! 

Senior Year, Katye, Jill, and Rudy moved out and Nora and Kelly moved in. But Kati was a constant! 
We enjoyed our house duties. {NOT!} But we made the most of them, that's for sure. We could even make raking...

and shoveling, fun! 

 Bye Bye Neon! Silly, so silly, we are!

Silly even showed up at my bridal shower! 

And then it was time to graduate! Woo hoo! Those four years at Calvin were the best. Graduation was bittersweet. So happy to be done studying. So happy to be getting married. But so sad to be leaving all of my best friends. Can it really be 10 years ago? Why do these pictures seem like they were just yesterday? 

That summer Kati stood up for me in my wedding. I moved to Colorado and she moved to Chicago.

But she visited me that Winter. 

After our move, our visits were fewer and farther between. They mostly consisted of a meal or a few hours chatting. But we tried our best to keep in touch and always made it a priority to see each other when I happened to be back in Chicago. 

I also had the honor to be a bridesmaid in her wedding. She may be a Hart now, but she will ALWAYS be "Davis" to me! Here we are at her reception, doing one of the things we do best...singing to boy bands! 

Kati and her husband Bill like to come to Colorado to ski. So whenever they do, we drive up to the mountains to see them. In this photo Nolan was our only child.

A few years later, back in Breck, and we have two more! Ha! She is so good with our boys. 

Kati is a neonatal nurse practitioner. She has worked in downtown Chicago and Milwaukee and now ALABAMA. She has 2 silver labs and a fun hubby. Our lives now are quite different. Yet, despite all the changes, we are still the same fun loving, girly girls who like to lay out, dance, shop, talk, get dressed up, be crazy, and do life together! 

Our friendship has stayed the same and I am so grateful. 

So that was a blast from the past for sure! 
Tomorrow, I'll update you on our weekend together in Alabama!!! 

3 comments:

Cara S. said...

This if FANTASTIC. It's so fun to see a glimpse of your college life. I was also a BHT girl and totally forgot about that silly cheer! Isn't college the best! Thanks for sharing, I LOVED it!

B and B said...

LOVE YOU GIRLS!!!!!!!!! So glad to share a lot of those college memories with you. :)

Kati Hart said...

Abbs, this is awesome!!! Taking this little trip down memory lane makes me cherish our friendship even more! So thankful for you and once I get my photo albums out of storage, i'll have to return the favor :) love you, Chester!