Wednesday, April 3, 2013

dates and serenades

One of the things that my family is really good at is loving each other well. Yes, we fight, we argue, we yell, we make fun of each other. We are dysfunctional at times. But we are honest and open and supportive too.  We love hard, we always have. Growing up there was never a second when I didn't feel loved for exactly who I was created to be. I was encouraged to follow my dreams, to chase after what I wanted to do, and to be who I wanted to be. And I love that my family now loves my boys in that same way! 

Growing up in a family with 3 brothers, I hope and pray that my boys will find a way to explore their unique interests and be confident in their giftedness, while still being best buds! It's rare that Mark and I get time with each boy one on one, but when we do it's so special! And you can just tell that they GLOW with all of the attention. So I LOVE that my family always makes it a priority to take the boys out for DATES! 

I love that they make time to be with the boys individually. To chat with them, to ask them questions, to do things that they enjoy, and to build special memories with them. The boys LOVE these dates too and really look forward to them. Although they know that dates usually include some sort of treat, fun activity, or gift, they know that dates are really about spending quality time with their family! 

One night Grandma took Nolan to see a movie- "The Croods". They ate popcorn and laughed together! After the movie they stopped by Target to pick up a few things we needed and came home with some Gak too! 


It was a blast from the past! Mallory had some when we were little. We had fun making it "frrrrrrrt" as the package says! 

While Nolan and Grandma had their date. Auntie and Flob took Heath out. 

They went to Target as well and picked up this little guy- Metalhead. Then they stopped at Heath's favorite spot- FroYo! Yum! 

The next night it was time for the swap. 
 Grandma took Heath to dinner at McDonalds. 

And you can't buy one a gift and not the other...I know...they are SO SPOILED! They had been wanting a pair of binoculars! Too cute! 

Nolan is a sucker for infomercials. He loves the Stompeez commercial. So Auntie took him to Walmart to look for some boy Stompeez! Too bad when they got there his dream was crushed when the alligators didn't work very well. Their mouths didn't open wide when you stomped like they showed on TV. But he didn't mind, he quickly set his eyes on other prizes, like wiener dog hot dog slicers! Ha! Auntie wisely talked him out of that idea and they settled on a new Ninja Turtle. Can't go wrong with an action figure in Nolan's world! 


They picked up pizza on the way home...just what the Turtles love! 

Mark and I were also spoiled with a date night as well! Grandma watched the kids so Mallory, Bob, Mark, and I could go on a double date. 
We went to Mt. Fuji Hibachi right here in Parker, the same place Mark and I went for Valentine's Day. 

We had fun laughing, drinking, eating, and spending time together KID FREE! It was wonderful! Thanks Flob for treating us to dinner! And thanks Momela for babysitting! Can't you just move here already?

And just for fun...I'll leave you with a little serenade from the Jansen boys! Glee Karaoke style! 



 After the boys sang, we all got in on the fun! 
Flob even rapped! Too bad I didn't get that one on video! Right, Bob? 
Good times!

1 comment:

Jill Sloothaak said...

Love the date nights! So fun and super special for the boys. Trey chose a date night with Uncle Scott and Aunt Gina over a gift to open too. That one-on-one time is priceless!

PS -- Love that Lions shirt on Nolan! Adorable!