Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Oma Bosch

December 17, 2011: "Early this morning, we said goodbye to my grandma, Ruth "Oma" Bosch. After 94 wonderful years, the Lord called her home...8 hours later God brought our new boy Brooks into this world. Funny how God works sometimes...in the midst of heartache and sadness he reminds us to celebrate the blessing of life! I can only pray that Brooks grows up to be as kind, gracious and loving as Oma was..." -Mark

Oma was the epitome of the following verses: Phillippians 4
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!

5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things.

11 For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who give me strength.

20 To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

If only we could all daily live that way. That has become my prayer since Oma's passing. To be content, to listen more than speak, to not judge, and to have quiet, unwavering faith.

And on top of all of that, to be joyful and fun and loving and gentle. Oma taught me all of these things with her sweet life.

We will miss Oma on Sundays after church, at the annual Easter egg hunt, on Memorial Day at the cabin, when we dress up on Halloween, and when we sing carols on Christmas.

We will definitely miss her on all of those special occasions that we can't imagine having without her. But we will also miss her in the quiet moments of our day to day life.

When we come across a beautiful plate she gave us.
Or when a tuna sandwich reminds us of brunch in her den. Or when we put on a yellow shirt and think about how she loved that color.

But we rest in the knowledge that she is happy and healthy in heaven.

And that we will all be reunited with her there someday.

It is sad to think that our little Brooks will never get to meet his Oma Bosch.

But amazing to know that her spirit will live on in him.

Oma and I were connected from day one: we were both JOHNSON girls from birth. And now that bond has only been strengthened with the arrival of Brooks into our home on the day when she went home to her Heavenly Father.

I was so blessed to have been welcomed into this family that she created. And I will continually pray that Mark and I will carry on her love and light in our own family and relationships.

"Great is thy faithfulness, O God my father
There is no shadow of turning with Thee
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been, Thou for ever will be
Great is thy faithfulness
Great is thy faithfulness
Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed thy hand hath provided
Great is thy faithfulness, Lord unto me
Great is thy faithfulness"

2 comments:

pamnrandy said...

Nicely written, Abby!

Jill Sloothaak said...

This is a very sweet post, Abbs.