Wednesday, August 3, 2011

To PRESCHOOL and Beyond!

Nolan started Preschool today!
Wow!
I really can't believe I'm saying that!
How is he old enough for PRESCHOOL?!!!

We had a hard time deciding where to send him...Christian or Public School. But after visiting both, asking questions, and praying about what is best for Nolan, we decided on Sand Creek Preschool in Highlands Ranch! They have small class sizes- Nolan will have 12 children in his class this year! And his class will be diverse- something really important to us. We want Nolan to grow up valuing and celebrating the many things that make us unique and special on the inside and out! Sand Creek also has a great teacher:student ratio- 1:4! Their curriculum is fantastic and incorporates focused gross motor activities daily...which is perfect to ensure Nolan continues to make great progress physically! And finally, it is a convenient location for Mark to drop him off and pick him up on days when he and I are both working. We feel really good about our decision and know that if we are doing our job as parents that we will be bringing him to church, teaching him about Jesus, involving him in Awana, and praying with him and for him! We feel strongly about Nolan being able to grow up knowing and loving God and shining His light to others at school who may not know Him!

We registered for Preschool this Spring, but it sort of snuck up on me a week and a half ago, so I was super glad that I had already ordered his backpack!
Sand Creek is on a Modified school schedule- 2 month Summer Break, 2 week Fall Break, 2 week Winter Break, and 2 week Spring Break! Personally I think this is the PERFECT schedule! His breaks won't always align with mine, but it will be nice for him to have more than just a week off each season.

I agonized over ordering him this backpack from Pottery Barn Kids. Super expensive for a Preschool backpack, but he really wanted a Batman one and it was the only one I could find that wasn't super cheesy looking! But I am SO GLAD that I ordered it because the day it came in the mail Nolan was SUPER EXCITED!! He LOVED it and has wanted to wear it every day just running around the house! He asks me over and over again about what goes in each pocket! When really, he needs no school supplies at all! We just need to put a change of clothes inside and we're set!

Yesterday we went to Nolan's Open House to meet his teacher Mrs. Thompson. We got to do a fun Scavenger Hunt with a magnifying glass, check out the rooms, read a book, color a picture with his favorite color, hear about the curriculum and school policies, play with some toys, and check out the fun playground!
I snapped this pic of him outside of his classroom at the Open House with my camera phone. But he was jumping up and down next to the welcome sign so it's a little blurry!

Then today was the BIG DAY! We woke up early and ate a quiet breakfast just him and I. It was a special way to start the day with my big boy. He is just the sweetest thing. We talked about preschool, being brave, shining his funny, sensitive, and smart personality, and played with his Cars 2 cars. Then he got dressed and we headed outside for some pictures to document this momentous occasion!
Of course I bought him a new t-shirt!

And he got to wear his new backpack for real this time!

We did let him pick out a folder to transport papers and projects safely in his backpack each day. He picked out a puppy folder at first. (What can I say, this boy is OBSESSED with having a pet dog!) So we bought it and took it home. But then he changed his mind and decided he wanted a CARS 2 folder instead. So of course this Mommy could not say no to her adorable Preschooler. So when I was at Walmart this weekend I picked out a CARS 2 folder I knew he would love! And he did...
Growing up my brother, sister, and I always took a picture on our first day of school holding our favorite folder outside of our house! I had to start this same tradition with Nolan too!

Daddy and Mommy couldn't resist a "Sandwich Kiss" before we said goodbye to Daddy and were off to school! He already looks as if he's thinking, "Oh geez Mom!" Ha! My little boy is growing up!

As we drove to school I could tell my guy was a little nervous. He was quiet. He never stops talking usually so I knew something was up. When we got there he got a little bit sad hugging Grandma goodbye in the car. But he hopped out and walked up to the building with me. We had to wait outside until exactly 8:30 when the teachers open the doors. So we chatted with the other families and students and he met a friend named Austin. Austin has a dog named "Jo Jo" so they hit it off immediately when we talked about Austin's puppy birthday party!

Then we got to go inside! We signed in and Nolan had to find his name in the pocket chart. Next to his name was a colored square and this square told him what table he had to go sit at. Nolan was a bit shy and gave me his best puppy dog eyes as we walked to the yellow table. But much to our delight he got to start at the Playdough table! As soon as he saw the new, fresh from the can Playdough and the assortment of rollers and cookie cutters, he was good to go! He sat down and started playing right away. Opal and Quinn joined him at the table and one of the teachers started helping them with the fun! He kissed me goodbye and I slipped out as he was busy and distracted! No tears! (From either one of us!) Yay!

While he was at school my Mom, Heath, and I got to go run errands together. We hit up JoAnn's, Lakeshore, and U.S. Toy! What a fun morning out and about. But of course in the back of my mind I couldn't stop thinking about my precious boy!

I was SO ready to pick him up from school at 11:15 and hear all about his morning! When I picked him up, he was sitting on a carpet square with his backpack! So cute! And one at a time they sang the goodbye song to each student as they left with their parents. The teacher said he did great! He had a few moments when he looked sad or scared or nervous, but he never cried and he participated well. And she said he kind of buddied up with Austin throughout the morning.
Here he is outside of his classroom. (He was REALLY over taking pictures at this point, so I was happy he was at least looking!) His classroom is in a mobile outside of the main Elementary School. We asked him a million questions about his morning and got short answers. He said he had fun and told us he did Playdough, colored, sang Mary had a Little Lamb, and did not play with blocks. Despite what his teacher said, he said he "cried a little bit in the other room". And he could not remember what he had for snack. But as the day went on he would say certain things that I knew he had learned or had remembered from his first day at school, like "You have to stay in your seats." And he even asked me if lambs poop! This is his gauge on whether or not an animal is an acceptable pet. We told him that he can't have a dog because they poop and we don't want to clean up any more poop! So he told me one day that he was trying to think of an animal that doesn't poop! Ha! Good luck with that one! He is now determined to find a pet that doesn't poop! If Mary could have a lamb why couldn't he!

When we picked him up we went and played on the playground for a bit and then met Daddy for a celebration lunch at McDonalds! He was EXHAUSTED from a fun filled morning so I was sure he would take an AWESOME nap. But nope...he played around in his room for 2 hours when I finally told him he could just get up! We had a nice evening playing at home but put him down for a way early bedtime and he fell asleep immediately! Tired boy! We have to get to bed at a good time on school nights!

Nolan's preschool program runs Monday-Thursday...so he's starting off right away with 4 mornings a week! But I think the routine and consistency will be great for him once he gets comfortable and confident with this new place and all of these new people!

We look forward to seeing how he grows academically, socially, physically, and emotionally this year! We just LOVE him so much and just really can't comprehend that we have a son that is old enough for Preschool already! Crazy! We are honored and blessed to be entrusted as parents to this imaginative and tender soul.

As Nolan said this morning as he ran through the kitchen with his back pack on..."To Preschool and Beyond!"

4 comments:

Jill Sloothaak said...

Awww....way to go Nolan! Auntie Jill is so proud of you! You will have SO much fun at pre-school and will learn so much! You are turning into such handsome, sweet, big boy! Hugs and kisses!

Barb J. said...

So glad he had fun...I was thinking about him all morning too and hoping it went well. Love the picture our front, just like we used to do here as well. Can't wait to talk to him about it. And he does look so grown up!

Oma

boschkp said...

Wow...preschool already! Sounds like the first day went great. I am sure Nolan will love all of it and will grow and learn quickly. Congrats to all of you!

Aunt Peg

Cara S. said...

Dear Nolan,

Good job being brave and going to preschool! We know that you will like it a lot. We really like recess and snack time, those times are the best. I also like your Cars folder...I picked out a Justin Bieber one :) Brady will have to try and find a Monster Truck one.

Love, Payton (& Brady)