Thursday, January 15, 2015

Christmas Night

We had Mark's family over for Christmas Dinner this year. I loved fancying up my Dining Room for our guests. I used some of our dishes and some of the crystal and silver and china that has been passed down to me by my Mom and her family. It was nice to have a little piece of them here with us when they physically couldn't be. 

The family all came over at about 4. The Syers family surprised their kiddos with a trip to California on Christmas day, so it was just Oma, Opa, Dave, Sue, Brad, Jayne, and their boys. We had apps and chatted and the boys played with their cousins and all of their new toys. Brad & Jayne also made some delicious lemon drop martinis too! 


Then we had dinner. We made pork tenderloin and twice baked potatoes. 
Broccoli salad in my, new to me, crystal bowl from my Grandma Verna. It is so heavy and beautiful. It has Lily of the Valley flowers on it that also remind me of home. My Grandpa Jack and Grandma Marge had them growing at their home in Wisconsin and we transplanted them to our house in Streamwood. They grew and spread like crazy and we would always pick them. They have the best scent. 

We also had rolls and jello. Had to make a Christmas jello. 
My Mom gave me a mold a couple of years ago and we've used it, but I've never made a jello by myself. So Christmas Eve night I was on the phone with my mom at 10 p.m. making sure I was doing it right. Ha! It turned out great!

We fed the kids in the kitchen first, then put on a Christmas movie for them in the basement so that we could have a relaxing meal together. 

After dinner we played an adult round of the Pickle Game! 
Brad was the winner! Pickles and a Starbucks gift card. 
Jayne made a delicious peanut butter pie and we had peppermint ice cream as well for dessert. 

Then we headed to the basement for some karaoke... 

dancing...

and light saber fighting! 

It was a really nice night, complete with some snow fall, making it a WHITE CHRISTMAS!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks again Abby and Mark. ..a great dinner, fun evening, and really good time to end the Christmas day! Mom and Dad

Jill Sloothaak said...

You are such an incredible hostess!! Everything looked so beautiful!