Monday, May 20, 2013

a wiggly jiggly loose tooth

Nolan lost his first tooth. 
Did I just say that? 

How in the world is he old enough to lose a tooth? 
He is only in Preschool! 

When Nolan went to the Dentist in November they told us that his bottom front teeth were a little wiggly. But I couldn't tell at all. And then two weeks ago, he mentioned to me, "Mommy, my tooth feels funny." So I checked it out and sure enough...it was pretty wiggly. Each day we wiggled it a little bit more until the point where it was hanging by just a thread. Neither Mark or I wanted to pull it. So we just let it do it's thing. 

Last Thursday, when Nolan woke up I asked him if I could check to see how his tooth was doing. When I peeked inside his mouth...it was gone! I couldn't believe it! And neither could he! I was worried that he had swallowed it in his sleep. So, we ran to his bed to see if we could find it. And sure enough, there it was, right next to his pillow! His tiny little tooth! He was SO excited, not only that he had lost it, but that we found it as well! 
Look how old he looks now with that big ol' gap! 

He told me that he thought the Tooth Fairy came in the middle of the night and pulled it out and left it for him to see. 

We put the tooth in a baggie and brought it to school so that he could share his exciting news with his class. Since he kind of lost it early, some of the kids in his class thought it was so weird that he lost his tooth. They didn't even know that it happens! So his teacher had to explain to the class about how and why kids lose their teeth. Then, of course, we had to take it to Oma & Opa's house that afternoon as well! 

Later that night, Nolan carefully tucked his tiny tooth underneath his pillow and went to bed. 
When he woke up in the morning, he found a dollar underneath his pillow and a certificate and book by his bunk bed ladder. The Tooth Fairy was so good to him! 

The dollar bill was even sparkly! Special Tooth Fairy money! He thought it was so cool! His little brother, on the other hand, had a rough time understanding why he DID NOT get a special present too. He kept looking for his dollar and his book and his certificate. Ha! 

 I asked Nolan if he wanted to save or spend his Tooth Fairy money. That special, sparkly dollar was burning a hole in his pocket! He chose to spend it, I think he was just so excited to buy something with his OWN money. So we talked about how you can't buy much with just a dollar and that's when he suggested the Target Dollar Spot! Perfect...great idea buddy! So after soccer the next day, we headed to Target for a little lesson in the value of a dollar. It was a tough choice...candy, keychains, pool toys, Spider Man stuff...we spent a good 10 minutes digging through all the bins. He finally settled on a light up purple ball...purple for the Rockies of course! He is his Father's son! 

Oh my, I still can't get over how old he looks with that big hole in his head! I love it! And I love him! Being his Mommy is the best. And I love making memories and family firsts with him! 

No comments: