Sunday, March 18, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I just love creating special memories for my boys on holidays. So even though we are not even a wee bit Irish, St. Patrick's Day was a fun day for our family!
When the boys woke up they found a cute little treat at their spot at the breakfast table. Nolan thought the leprechauns left it for him!
When he saw me the first thing he did was pinch me! Ha! I wasn't wearing any green! His Daddy taught him that little trick. Despite the pinch, I AM SO LUCKY to have him! And Heath and Brooks too! Not so much lucky, more like incredibly blessed! What a treasure they are!

Of course they had to wait for their sugary treat. But we made breakfast pretty special as well. After a mess of a first batch of waffles (I didn't know you have to mix the batter differently when making waffles, instead of pancakes and they turned out all crumbly when I tried to get them out of the waffle iron!), this time they actually turned out! Green waffles and green milk...yum!

It was a beautiful day so later on we went to the park to play and have a picnic!

We've spent a lot of time here the past week or so!

Nolan pretending to be a chicken! What a silly boy!

After lunch we went to McDonald's for a Johnson family St. Patrick's Day tradition- Shamrock Shakes! They are so good!

Heath guzzled his down and almost finished it by the time we got home! The kid has a serious sweet tooth!

We sat outside in the sun and enjoyed our treats before nap time! Look what popped up in our yard already due to this gorgeous weather we've been having!

That evening we went to the Leensvaarts for a St. Patrick's Day party! These two little leprechauns sported their green for the day!

The kids always love a party at the Leensvaarts! They watched Shrek, you know, the big GREEN ogre, while us adults hung out and drank green beer!

Us girls chatted away in the kitchen while the guys watched NCAA basketball.

And we prepared our favorite "Cleveland Sandwiches"! Delicious!

We had so much fun and stayed up late playing Times Up!

The boys were such good sports and were completely wiped out from a fun day! Heathy fell asleep on the floor next to me as we played the game.

I was really glad St. Patrick's Day fell on a Saturday so that I could spend the day with my family, and NOT with a bunch of pinching 6 year olds!

1 comment:

Jill Sloothaak said...

so fun! i had to laugh because i used that same tag (only the teacher version) to make little treats for the kids' teachers. love all of your green fun! makes me wish i would have done something (anything!) with my kids on the actual day. we didn't talk about it once. :)