Monday, September 1, 2008

The Simple Things

Early Wednesday morning as I got my bags ready to go to school, I grabbed my keys off the hook in the kitchen to rush my way to school at 6:45 a.m. and I screamed at what I saw! There on my keychain was THE BEST early birthday present Mark could have EVER gotten me! A keyless entry remote control installed in our Honda Civic!

You see, things have changed now that I have a 20 plus pound baby to lug around. No longer am I screaming at the sight of new cute Puma running shoes or a Tiffany bracelet...no, now I am screaming for joy at the simplest of things...something that makes my life 2000 times easier...something we should have just had installed when we bought the car brand new 5 years ago. But you see, we were broke college graduates with only one job, about to move across the country and start our new married lives together and at that point the couple hundred extra dollars for keyless entry just didn't seem necessary. But now it absolutely is!

Imagine me, Nolan in arms and shopping cart full of groceries, trying to bend down to get the key in the hole without the shopping cart rolling away. And then, over the years, the key has slowly started to not fit very well in the hole and you have to jiggle it and position it just right to get the lock to open. So here I am struggling with all the weight and bags and trying 15 to 20 times to get the lock to open, only to have to run around to the other side of the car to open that lock and crawl across the seat to pop the lock open from the inside! (and don't forget I still have all 20 some pounds of chubby cheeks and chunky thighs and the loaded shopping cart) So after sweat, tears, and probably a few not so pleasant words, I would be in the car and driving home. As soon as I would get home, I would burst through the doors and complain to Mark day after day about this horrible situation!

For once, I think he got the hint! And I have my most awesome birthday present. It is amazing how such a simple thing has blessed my life so incredibly much! I love you babe! And now I hope you all can understand why I have found this to be blog worthy!!

Here are a few other shots from our weekend and pre-birthday celebrations!! Thanks so much to everyone who helped make my birthday so much fun so far...and it hasn't even really come yet!!


This is a picture from a fun game our super creative Aunt Sue played to help celebrate her new sprinkler system at my birthday party at her house! Yes...we are wearing goggles!

And the winners are...gold medal: Wes, silver medal: Ernie, bronze medal: Mark! I'm so proud! Nolan even joined in on the festivities!


Payton created her own artwork for my birthday card!

Swimming at Jess' Pool! Such a handsome little dude!

My Birthday Chair...a wonderful Johnson family tradition...the family decorates a special chair for the birthday person to sit in and open up their presents. It's a different theme every year. This year, Mark decorated it in a Beverly Hills 90210 theme. I am the shows number one fan...I love the DVD's and am spending my real birthday night tomorrow watching the new series.

For my birthday celebration Mark and I went indoor skydiving! I was reluctant at first, because if you know me, you know I don't like my feet to leave the ground. I'm talking no skates, skis, nothin'! But it was a fun experience- 110 mph winds shooting out and blasting you into the air. I would never do the real thing, so this was a nice way to simulate the free fall experience, have your cheeks flap in the wind, and to see your boogers fly from your nose. Video to come!

Birthday dinner at Happa Sushi Bar

Labor Day at the cabin: Nolan's first tractor ride!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! It looks like you had such a wonderful pre-birthday!!! Hope you are having a wonderful day! love you so much!! your Kerri:)

Cara S. said...

It was certainly a fun weekend. Glad we could celebrate with you. I said this already, but thanks for being born :) Have a great time in Chicago this weekend, and we'll see you when you get back!

Anonymous said...

My mouth is wide open after the sky diving revalation! Way to be you crazy cat. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Sorry we missed the festivities. We were busy weathering Gustav down south:) Looks like you had an awesome weekend. Congrats on another beautiful year.

Gwen

Barb J. said...

We enjoyed celebrating your birthday too and having you guys at the cabin! Can't wait for the skydiving video! We love you and Happy Birthday!

Dave and Tara Harris said...

Happy Birthday, Abby! What a GREAT gift from Mark!!!! I loved looking at all those fun birthday festivity pictures! And I LOVED the 90210 chair....That is awesome. Yep, totally our generation of tv shows....I was so upset that I missed the new 90210 show. Was it good. I'm going to tape the next one.

Jill Sloothaak said...

oh, what a super fun birthday weekend -- i SO wish that i could have celebrated with you!! and, you are totally right -- keyless entry is a MUST with a baby, especially in places like ours that get snowy and cold! love you and can't WAIT to see you so soon!!!

ps...love your dress in the "goggle" picture -- you are too cute!

Dave and Tara Harris said...

Hey there! We are rotating Thanksgiving and Christmas in Chicago every other year, and this year we'll be celebrating Thanksgiving in Chicago. I wish we were going to be there at the same time. I REALLY REALLY want to see you and your family. I will have to notify you every time I will be in Chicago just in case you may be there too!!! And you do the same so maybe one of these times we will catch eachother!