Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Happy Birthday Mark!


My family has a wonderful tradition of "The Birthday Chair". On your special day, the family decorates a director's chair with balloons, streamers, and posters. Over the years we have enjoyed coming up with themes for the chair each birthday. I remember fondly my most favorite chairs- the one where I received my Barbie and the Rockers, the 90210 theme: when I was in junior high and then again last year (my all time favorite t.v. show- the old and the new), and we always love the chairs with random funny pictures of ourselves. I LOVE this tradition and happily come up with creative ways to decorate! Mark, on the other hand, dreads this task and finds it difficult to think of something unique each year. However, he does end up with awesome ideas- scavenger hunts, poems, and clip art galore! But today, January 13, 2009, it's my turn to show my lovey just how much he means to us!

I dug through old photo albums and found a picture taken on or around Mark's birthday each year that we have been dating or married. I created the comics that you see above using the pictures. (If you click on the picture it enlarges and you can get a better view.) I just love putting a little extra time into a day that often becomes "just one more year". I love being able to show Mark that I care for him with something other than a card or a gift.

So Mark, I hope today that you feel even more loved than the day before! Nolan and I are so thankful for you! You are fun, hilarious, level headed, thoughtful, and easy going- a great balance to me in every way! The past 10 years have been amazing...here's to another 10 x 10 more! Love you!

2 comments:

Jill Sloothaak said...

Happy birthday Mark! Love the Airband picture -- those were good times!! Hope you have a great day and feel spoiled all day long!!

Cara S. said...

Were these the pictures you put on his chair, or were these just for the blog! Very funny to see how he's changed...(for the better of course!)